Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pecking order

One of the more amazing things I have been blessed to see in my lifetime is a Sage Grouse Lek. If you don't know what this is you're missing out (well not really, but its still pretty amazing). Sage Grouse, while mating, preform elaborate courting displays for days in the spring time. During these competitive displays, they strut around in concentric circles puffing in and out a sack located on their chest. Apparently, there are very complicated rules/behaviors involved in all this (which I will not claim to be an expert in), so if you want to read more check out wikipedia.

Anyway, I had heard about these when I moved out to Idaho, and I wanted to see one. So I wrote an email to the local Fish and Game office and got a few reoccurring Lek locations. I drove out to one in Midvale at 5am, and waited for sunrise. At about 6:30, right when the sun started coming up, I started to hear clicking sounds, and looking out the window of my car, saw one of about 15 birds. I counted about 6 males and 9 females. All the males were strutting and puffing, and every once in a while sparring when their circles crossed. It was a awesome sight to see!



No comments:

Post a Comment